Students at Western Carolina University protested against the creation of free speech zones, proposing that free speech be allowed at all places on the campus.
PEN released a report on the state of free speech on college campuses, reaching a more sanguine conclusion than FIRE.
- The New York Times covered the report’s release,
- A critical response was published by Robby Soave at Reason magazine.
- Jim Sleeper defends the report and criticizes FIRE.
We had a noteworthy week at Heterodox Academy, publishing:
- Why Universities Must Choose One Telos by Jonathan Haidt
- Introducing the Heterodox Academy Guide to Colleges by Jeremy Willinger
- Why is Wonder Alien to Social Psychology? by Collin Barnes