MEMBERSHIP IN HETERODOX ACADEMY
Heterodox Academy is an association of professors who have come together to express their support for increasing viewpoint diversity—particularly political diversity—in universities. Professors who meet these four criteria are encouraged to apply for membership:
1) Has earned a Ph.D. (or J.D., or M.D., for faculty in law and medicine)
2) Has a tenured or tenure-track faculty appointment at an accredited university, and is listed on a webpage of that university. (We plan to open up membership to adjunct professors by May of 2017.)
3) Is engaged in the main practices of professorial life — teaching, research/scholarship, and publication. (Retired faculty are welcome.)
4) Endorses the following statement:
“I believe that university life requires that people with diverse viewpoints and perspectives encounter each other in an environment where they feel free to speak up and challenge each other. I am concerned that many academic fields and universities currently lack sufficient viewpoint diversity—particularly political diversity. I will support viewpoint diversity in my academic field, my university, my department, and my classroom.”
A) We focus mainly on universities in the United States, but because political homogeneity and the suppression of dissenting views is a problem in many countries, we welcome applications from professors in other English speaking countries. (We also welcome professors in other countries who publish primarily in English-language journals; we need to be able to evaluate each applicant’s scholarship.)
B) At present membership is limited to tenured or tenure-track professors, with a few exceptions for graduate students and post-doctoral researchers who are working with us. In the next year or so, we plan to welcome adjunct professors, graduate students, and post-doctoral researchers as members or associates of Heterodox Academy.
C) If you are accepted for membership, then
1) we will list you on the “members” page.
2) You will get one (or sometimes two) emails per week from us with updates and discussion of current events and projects.
3) You will be eligible to submit essays for publication on our blog, subject to approval and editing from the blog committee.
D) Our membership is politically diverse and each member speaks for him or herself. Views expressed by any member cannot be taken to imply endorsement by other members. We rarely take positions as an organization. Rather, we provide a platform on which many views and ideas can be expressed. We strive to maintain a tone of civility. You are sure to find some posts that you strongly disagree with.
E) Membership will be determined by the membership committee. Membership can be revoked at any time by the membership committee. And of course you may withdraw at any time too. There are no dues or fees. There is no work required of you either.
Please invite your friends to join! Here is some sample text that you can modify: