At Heterodox Academy:
Alice Dreger is a historian of medicine and science, a sex researcher, and an advocate of academic freedom. She is the author of Galileo’s Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and One Scholar’s Search for Justice. In this episode, HxA’s Chris Martin talks to her about why she blames university brand management, and the corporatization of academia more broadly, for the policing of research, which has now become common in academic life. They talk about how the increasing reliance on external research funding has spurred attention to university brand management, and Alice also presents her recommendations for what to do if you are caught up in an academic controversy.
Elsewhere on the Web:
- Q&A with Allison Stanger Professor on CSPAN: Professor Allison Stanger talked about the reaction of Middlebury College students to author Charles Murray appearing on campus in March 2017. Mr. Murray and Professor Stanger were physically attacked following the event. *Mentions Heterodox Academy and our Guide to Colleges beginning at around 33:00.
- US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions: Exploring Free Speech on College Campuses with Dr. Robert Zimmer, HxA member Ms. Nadine Strossen, Mr. J. Richard Cohen and Dr. Allison Stanger [Full Video]
- Free Speech Leads to Tolerance and Prosperity, by James Devereaux, FEE (Foundation for Economic Education)
- Billionaire Says Supporting Milo Yiannopoulos’s Campus Tours Was a Mistake, by Chris Quintana, Chronicle of Higher Education
- It’s Halloween, and Colleges Are Already Investigating Offensive Costumes, by Adam Harris, Chronicle of Higher Education
- Groupthink Makes Navies Stupid, by James Holmes, The National Interest
- Job: Faculty Outreach Fellow with FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education)