Please note that the application period for this position will close on August 15, 2017. Thank you.
Wanted: Someone who cares about universities and research who can lead an effort to improve universities and research. Heterodox Academy is a rapidly growing collaboration of more than a thousand professors, evenly balanced between left and right. We have come together to discuss ways of improving the academy by enhancing viewpoint diversity and the conditions that encourage free inquiry. We have a robust membership, a popular website, and prominent media presence. To grow further we need to hire an Executive Director.
The ideal candidate will understand the academic world and have the skills needed to influence it. Our dream candidate would be someone who has earned a Ph.D. and who has also run an organization. Since the overlap of these two circles is small, we’d welcome applications from anyone who has intimate knowledge of university life who can also demonstrate the high levels of initiative, leadership, and organizational ability that are necessary to run an effective organization in politically challenging times.
You would report directly to our co-founder, Professor Jonathan Haidt, and work closely with the organization’s team and partners. We are currently housed at New York University, but we are in the process of becoming a fully independent non-profit 501c3 organization.
Qualifications and expectations:
- Experience launching and/or running a non-profit organization
- Great writing skills: you would write for our blog, and for national media outlets.
- Analytic/academic skills: We are a research-based organization. You’d need to be able to read, summarize, and learn from academic papers in the social sciences. You would have many opportunities to conduct and publish empirical research.
- Budgeting and financial management skills: you’d be responsible for maintaining organizational viability.
- Managerial skills: you will oversee a team of internal and external stakeholders, including a few full-time staff members and student volunteers.
- Political tolerance and flexibility – we don’t care what your own politics are, but you must be able to respect and advocate for the inclusion of progressive, conservative, and libertarian ideas and scholars.
To Apply: Send a CV and cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for Heterodox Academy to Jeremy Willinger, Communications Director, at willinger@heterodoxacademy.
Heterodox Academy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, or disability.