Peer Pressure and the Suppression of Viewpoint Diversity on Campus
Event Date: Wednesday, May 10, 4pm ET
HxA’s Campus Expression Survey shows that nearly two-thirds of students are reluctant to share their views in class, with fear of retribution from peers being the main reason why. Recent speaker shout downs at Stanford, SFSU, and SUNY Albany show how social pressure is effective in silencing dissenting views during campus events. And FIRE’s Academic Mind survey shows that a quarter of faculty self-censor in academic publications, and over half are worried about their reputation being harmed over someone misrepresenting their views.
In this live discussion with academics at all levels of the university, panelists explored how social dynamics can inhibit viewpoint diversity on college campuses. And, importantly, they discuss what faculty and campus leaders can do to foster free campus expression.
- HxA 2022 Campus Expression Survey https://heterodoxacademy.org/2022-campus-expression-survey-report/
- FIRE 2023 Academic Mind Survey https://www.thefire.org/research-learn/academic-mind-2022-what-faculty-think-about-free-expression-and-academic-freedom
- The Power of Us: Harnessing Our Shared Identities to Improve Performance, Increase Cooperation, and Promote Social Harmony, by Jay Van Bavel and Dominic Packer https://www.powerofus.online/
- What the Data Say about Student Support for Shout-downs, Blockades, and Violence by Kevin Wallsten https://heterodoxacademy.org/blog/what-the-data-say-about-student-support-for-shout-downs-blockades-and-violence/
- Shouting Down Speakers Who Offend https://www.insidehighered.com/news/students/free-speech/2023/04/13/shouting-down-speakers-who-offend
- How to Handle Controversial Speakers on Campus https://sponsored.chronicle.com/Controversial-Speakers/index.html
Yan Dominic SearcyDean, California State University, Northridge
Jay Van BavelProfessor of Psychology, New York University
Kevin WallstenProfessor of Political Science, California State University, Long Beach.
Subscribe to our emails to never miss an HxA event. Be the first to know about engaging panel discussions, live events, and other opportunities to connect with HxA members.