Heterodox Academy is looking for a high-energy person who knows how to get things done with tact and aplomb to plan and execute all facets of member recruitment, outreach, and engagement in addition to fostering relationships with partner organizations, within an intensely collaborative environment. You must be able to manage and prioritize multiple projects and respond effectively to requests from the Executive Director, HxA staff, our 2,000+ members, and partner organizations. In addition, you will often serve as the face of the organization to current and prospective members.
Specific duties include:
- Plan and execute all facets of member recruitment, outreach, and engagement
- Vet membership applications
- Maintain and leverage the member database
- Serve as the primary point of contact for members and partner organizations
- Plan and execute an annual member assessment
- Convene, charge, and coordinate standing and ad hoc committees of members
- Advocate for the needs and interests of our members
- Identify and pursue opportunities for programmatic collaboration with partner organizations
- Supervise a membership research assistant (part-time or full-time as determined by application volume)
- Serve as a liaison between members and organizational leadership
- Other duties as required
Duties are performed independently and involve planning, attention to detail, initiative, and follow through. Work is performed without close review and involves knowledge of the organization, its interests, partners, and personnel, and the exercise of frequent independent judgement in making administrative decisions.
This full-time, at-will position starts immediately. While most hours will be scheduled during the work week, there will be a great deal of flexibility in when, where and how you work. Some evening or weekend hours may be required to support high-profile events.
Reports To: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Part-time membership assistant
Knowledge, Skills, and Dispositions: You would be a good fit for our team if the following attributes describe you:
- Political tolerance and flexibility. We don’t care what your politics are, but you must be able to respect and advocate for the inclusion of progressive, conservative, and libertarian ideas and scholars.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to effectively track the status of ongoing projects and find needed documents and information quickly. Ability to independently organize, plan, prioritize, and carry out responsibilities, and to finish tasks by established deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Personal integrity, professionalism, empathy, resourcefulness, and a commitment to high standards of work quality and maintaining confidentiality.
- Persistent and creative problem-solver. The willingness/ability to anticipate problems, seek out information, and show persistence in finding solutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to write clearly using proper formats, grammar and punctuation; to edit and proofread; and to ensure accuracy and high quality of written work. Knowledge of proper formatting conventions for business correspondence, reports, agendas, and other documents.
- Excellent computer skills, with the ability to create/maintain documents, spreadsheets, reports, and databases using Google Docs, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other applications. Familiarity and comfort in CRM highly desired.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree, or any combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. 1 -3 years of related experience preferred. Prior work in the academic world and/or management of a membership organization a plus.
To Apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by August 10th will receive full consideration.