Please contact membership@heterodoxacademy.
I just learned about Heterodox Academy. How can I get access to the HxA Portal?
The HxA Portal is open to HxA members and participants in the Heterodox Communities (HxCommunities). Learn more about membership or the HxCommunities, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
What is the HxA Portal for?
The portal is a private online discussion forum hosted by HxA. This online space is open to our 5,000+ members and 26 HxCommunities to network and collaborate with the global HxA community about research opportunities, job openings, publications, resources, mentorship, and other items relevant to HxA’s mission.
Do I have to be a member to access the HxA Portal?
You must be a member of HxA or part of a Heterodox Community to access the portal.
How do I join an HxCommunity?
Review the list of current HxCommunities and their participation criteria, then request to join an HxCommunity.
I'm a member. How do I set up my portal account?
You should have received an email with your username and instructions for setting your password. Contact email@example.com if you did not receive the email or if you’re having trouble logging in.
I forgot my password. How do I access my portal account?
Visit the portal login page and click “forgot your password?”
What are the community guidelines for the HxA Portal?
All portal users are expected to follow the HxA Way and the HxCommunities Moderation Policy.
The “HxA Way”
The Heterodox Academy community embraces a set of norms and values that we call the ”HxA Way.”. We encourage our members, affiliates, and friends to embody these in all of their professional interactions. We insist on these norms and values for those publishing on our platforms or participating in our events:
1. Make your case with evidence.
2. Be intellectually charitable.
3. Be intellectually humble.
4. Be constructive.
5. Be yourself.
HxCommunities Moderation Policy
Ad hominem attacks and threats will not be tolerated. One offense will receive a warning, a second offense will result in removal from the group. Members may report posts to the admin(s) if they feel they violate this policy.
I already have access to the portal. How do I update my email notification preferences?
There are several notification options available in the portal. You can select what kinds of activities you’d like to be notified about and how frequently you’d like to be notified about activity in each group you belong to.
First, confirm email notifications are enabled and choose which activities you’d like to be notified of:
- Click the profile icon at the top right corner of the page.
- Then click “Settings” from the dropdown menu.
- From the settings page, check the box next to “Enable email notifications”.
- Then, select the items you’d like to hear about. For example, you can receive an email when someone comments on your posts, comments after you, likes your posts, etc.
Next, choose how often you want to be notified of activity from your group(s).
- Click any of the groups listed under “My Groups” on the home page.
- From the group page, click “Manage Notifications” at the top of the page.
- Select your desired notification frequency.
- Every Post: You will be notified each time a new post is created in the group. Each email notification will show the latest post in full, as well as a few of the previous messages in the thread. You will be able to reply to the latest post directly from your inbox (simply reply to the email). Note: You will not receive a notification of your posts but you’ll be notified of everyone else’s posts if you select this option.
- Daily Digest: This will include the 50 latest posts from the previous day and the three latest comments on each post. You will receive this email once per day.
- Weekly Digest: Weekly digests include the 50 latest posts from the week and the three latest comments on each post. You will receive one notification email per week.
- Limited = You will not receive email notifications about posts.
For HxCommunities, we recommend selecting “Every Post” if you want to be able to reply to posts via email. Otherwise, select daily or weekly digests — especially for very active groups like the Member Forum — so that your inbox isn’t flooded.
Can I post to a group through email?
Yes! Each HxCommunity and the Member Forum has a unique Group Email listed on the right side of the group page. We recommend saving this as a contact in your mail client so you can easily post right from your email. Note: This will only work if you send an email from the email address that is associated with your HxA Portal user account.
I can’t see the Member Forum. How do I check my membership status?
The Member Forum is only visible to users who have an active HxA membership. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check your membership status or to learn about joining.
Note: HxA membership is separate from participation in an HxCommunity. Those who participate in HxCommunities without HxA membership are considered “Friends” of HxA and have access to their respective community groups but not the Member Forum.
I don't see anything under HxCommunities or under My Groups.
Groups will only appear if you have joined one or more HxCommunities. Learn about existing communities and the registration process.
If you believe you are missing groups in error, please contact email@example.com and include the name of the community to check your account status.
How do I leave a group?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can update your account.
How do I invite colleagues to the portal?
Access to the HxA Portal is only available to HxA members and HxCommunities participants. The best way to share the portal with others is to invite them to join HxA! Please direct colleagues to heterodoxacademy.org/join or contact email@example.com
How do I update my information for the public membership list?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to change your information. We kindly ask that you include your new institution, job title, department, and email address (as applicable).
How do I unsubscribe from HxA Portal emails?
Log in to your portal account, click the profile icon in the right top corner, click settings, then uncheck “Enable email notifications,” or email email@example.com.
Please contact membership@heterodoxacademy.