What does it mean to be a member of Heterodox Academy?
Members of Heterodox Academy approve and support of the following member statement:
“I believe that university life requires that people with diverse viewpoints and perspectives encounter each other in an environment where they feel free to speak up and challenge each other. I am concerned that many academic fields and universities currently lack sufficient viewpoint diversity. I support viewpoint diversity, mutual understanding, and constructive disagreement in my academic field, my institution, my department, and my classroom.”
In addition, members allow their name and institutional affiliation to be listed on our website. This public endorsement of HxA helps to increase social permission to embrace and uphold the values put forth in the member statement.
In recognition of this valuable contribution, members receive:
- Access to a growing network of colleagues who support heterodoxy on campus, via:
- Invitations to HxA member-only events
- A subscription to the HxA Bulletin, a weekly roundup of HxA news and publications, as well as a selection of recent news stories curated by the HxA editorial team
- Our quick reference guide of 25 Ways You Can Advance Open Inquiry this Semester
- Priority notice of HxA events
- Discounted registration to HxA events (e.g., Annual Conference, Awards Dinner)
- Special access and exclusive pricing for workshops, events, tools, and other resources provided by partner organizations
- Opportunities to receive financial support for small events and standalone conferences related to HxCommunities
What is the cost of membership?
Membership is free. However, because we are a nonprofit organization, we welcome financial contributions of any size. Gifts to HxA allow us to continue providing free resources online, participate in and host meaningful events to facilitate heterodox conversations, publish content online, and more!
Is there a time commitment? How long is my membership good for?
There are many opportunities to be involved in the organization. As time and interest allow, we invite members to contribute to our blog, share resources they’ve developed (e.g., syllabi, assignment instructions), connect with potential research collaborators, or start a new HxCommunities group. Once you join, there is no expiration date on your membership. However, members can leave at any time. Any current member who wishes to resign should contact the Memberships Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is eligible for membership?
We believe the HxA membership program can be most impactful if it is made up of folks we like to call “academic insiders” – those individuals who are (or have been) in the academy. Currently, we have three different categories of membership, designed for the different ways in which most academic insiders are affiliated with higher education. Please view the criteria for each category below and decide which is best for you.
Academic membership is open to individuals who meet any of the following criteria:
- Full-time faculty with a PhD or the terminal degree in their field (e.g. MFA, MBA, MLS, JD, MD) AND a current appointment at a university
- Former full-time faculty with at least five years full-time teaching experience
- Adjunct or part-time professors
- Faculty with no terminal degree but five years full-time teaching experience
- Retired/Emeritus professors
Graduate Affiliate membership is open to students in a PhD or terminal master’s degree program with the intent to become professors. Adjunct professors and post-docs are also eligible to join as graduate affiliates.
Professional Affiliate membership is open to university administrators and staff (regardless of degree level).
Friend of HxA
If you support our mission but do not meet membership criteria, we welcome you to join as a Friend of HxA. Friends receive our weekly bulletin and other periodic communications, and it’s free!