Effective: September 15, 2017
Information We Collect
The Services do not require you to directly provide information to us. You may choose to provide contact information to us if you are member of Heterodox Academy, but providing this information to us is not required for you to use the Services.
The Site collects routine information from all visitors, including hardware or device model, IP address, other unique device identifiers, operating system version, and settings of the device you use to access the Site. In addition, when you access and interact with the Site, we and our service providers may collect certain information about those visits. The Services also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the Services in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent.
How We Use Information Collected on the Services
- To Publish Membership Lists. If you are a member of Heterodox Academy and provide us with your name, we may use your name and institutional reference for a member list that is published on the Services.
- To Provide and Manage the Products and Services You Request. This includes, for example, enabling you to participate in features provided by the Services.
- To Better Understand Our Users and to Improve Our Services. The Services may collect information on our users’ demographics, interests and behavior and analyze that data. We do this to better understand and serve our users, and to improve our products and services.
- To Protect the Rights of the Services and Others. We may use your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of Heterodox Academy or other users.
- Otherwise With Your Consent. We may otherwise use your information with your consent or at your direction.
How We Share Information Collected on the Services
- Affiliates. We may share information within our family of members.
- Service Providers. We may share information with vendors providing services on our behalf, such as companies that host the content of the Services. These service providers may only use your information to provide the Services, and are prohibited from using it for any other purposes.
- Others When Required or Permitted by Law, or As Necessary to Protect Our Users and Services. We may use and share your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of Heterodox Academy or its members and users; to detect, suppress or prevent fraud; or where otherwise required or permitted by law or legal process, including responding to requests from public authorities.
- Other Parties in Connection With a Corporate Transaction. We may transfer information collected on the Services in the event that we transfer all or a portion of our business or assets to a third party in connection with a corporate transaction or bankruptcy.
- Aggregated Data. We also may provide aggregated and anonymized information to third parties to describe how our customers are using the Services.
We have in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to protect the information the Services collects. However, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
Other Important Information
International Users. The Services are hosted in and managed from the United States. United States data protection and other relevant laws may not be the same as those in your jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States, you consent to having any information processed in the United States.
Linked Services. The Services may link to sites operated by unaffiliated companies. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of unaffiliated companies to which the Services may link or provide access.
Children’s Privacy. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent, unless permitted by law. If we learn that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete it in accordance with applicable law.
Your California Privacy Rights. California residents are entitled once a year, free of charge, to request and obtain certain information regarding our disclosure, if any, of certain categories of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, the Services currently does not take action in response to these signals.