Bringing the right attitude — including a spirit of curiosity about other perspectives, and humility about one’s own knowledge — will help promote viewpoint diversity and enable students to get the most out of college.
- “He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion.” –John Stuart Mill
1) How Brown University lost its way (13 minutes). For an overview of the new moral culture that has overtaken many of America’s elite schools, start with this 13 minute documentary by Brown alumnus Rob Montz.
2) Coddle U. vs. Strengthen U. (32 minutes). By Jonathan Haidt.
Shows how the steps taken by many universities to protect students end up
3) Two incompatible sacred values in American Universities (66 minutes), By Jonathan Haidt.
A full explanation of the trends pulling many universities away from the pursuit of truth.
Popular Articles and Blogs from Heterodox Academy
- Read more on the topic of microaggressions and safe spaces in The Coddling of the American Mind.
- Learn more about victimhood culture and how it draws people in from this essay by sociologists Bradley Campbell and Jason Manning.
- How Marcuse made today’s students less tolerant than their parents
- FIRE 2016 Keynote: Alice Dreger on Academic Freedom
Next Steps / What You Can Do on Campus
- Declare your school a Heterodox University to advocate for free speech on campus
- Download and share our Heterodox Academy badge and show your support for viewpoint diversity
- Check out our Viewpoint Diversity Experience (coming soon)